Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unthinkable Chukar question.
I've hunted chukars my entire life from Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho. the main thing to understand is that they are boom or bust depending many factors. you have to have a good dog, pointer, shorthair, etc. I personally have an English setter that's awesome. I've lived in Utah since 2009 and have tried here with limited success. there's a WMU west of Utah lake that holds some birds, believe they stock the area. lots of bird farms in the salt lake valley that stock them and make for a good training session for you dog, but does nothing for your legs. Hunting chukars is my weight management program for the winter. It's the only thing that keeps the weight off gained through the holidays. You should get online or go to DNR to get the book that shows guzzler locations throughout the state. It's been pretty wet this year so the birds will be scattered, but still have they're favorite watering areas. Put your legs on and check out some of these locations until you find the birds. You can pattern chukars. Also, look for reports in other states. Southwest Oregon is awesome when it's on, 2004-06 was an extreme period, you could get your limit in the morning in Oregon then drive 45mins into Idaho and do the some in the evening. cost of license is not too bad if it's on. NDOW also posts they're chukar forecast and has books with guzzler locations.
good luck, make sure and shoot a lot of trap/skeet before you go and follow-through
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Unthinkable Chukar question. - by MacFisher - 08-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Re: [MacFisher] Unthinkable Chukar question. - by pardof16 - 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM