Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-success muzzleloader hunt
Just got back in town today, so I figured I'd leave a report. I didn't figure I'd kill anything; Too picky(what can I say, I'm a trophy hunter), too early in the year. But, it's still a hunt to go on.

Tried about everywhere I know out in the desert, and saw a lot of deer. I passed on around 25 bucks for the week, the smallest was a 15" 3x2, biggest one I'll look at later if I haven't found anything else, a 27" 3x5. I got within muzzleloader range on most of them, but I could resist the temptation to shoot. No magic 200"ers to be found as of yet.

Friday there were quite a few hunters after about 11, but none of them I'd talked to had even seen a deer, yet alone a buck. I sort of let them believe I hadn't seen any either; I like having just my boot tracks in the area.

My favorite mountain is a complete wilderness area now, which really means good hunting this year, and it's only going to get better in the future. I didn't see any bikes going off road. If I do, though, BLM's getting a call, and I'm getting $200. I don't like law breakers, especially when it's the deer herd that's at stake. Every road's been closed down. So folks, unless you really like a mile hike into deer country, I wouldn't suggest the desert.

One big disappointment, too, were the chukar. I didn't jump one the entire week. Bad, bad year for them. Last year in the same area I saw litterally hundreds. None this year. There were a few differences, though. Key among them was that the cheet grass was short and sparse; Not good for chukar.

I'm heading back out Wedensday morning for one more day after the thunderstorms. There were a few huge tracks I know belong to big bucks. One right in the area that we jumped the 35"er last year. Who knows. Maybe I'll get lucky for once.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Non-success muzzleloader hunt - by Mc_Lennon - 10-01-2006, 07:19 PM