Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge - June 1 thru June 4 - WOW!
Well..to say it was a great 3 days of fishing might be an understatement. Let me explain about fishing with Jim; while BLM and I landed no fish on Friday we sure did have our chances. Fishing with Jim I have learned the 3 critical things about Mack fishing.

1. When Jim shows you how to set the hook.... listen. I'm stuck in my old ways of throwing the steel to them with a big old Jimmy Houston hook set. It don't work well. Tap and stab is what I call his method, seems to work much better than mine. 100 more times fishing with him and I just might listen, until then, I will suck at setting the hook.

2. Never give up hope. After losing that double I was done. Not physically but mentally. He put us on fish but I just couldn't get over the fact of losing that double (both good fish by the way). BLM said "Get over it and cry at the dock" , easier said then done. Jim said "You are one tap away from being a hero", I was so pissed (at myself) I just quit on myself. Don't do that.

3. Never, and I mean ever estimate the size of your fish during the fight. Because big fish never do that, right Jim?

On fishing with Jared.

If you didn't attend one of his seminars you really missed out. He has no secrets and really want's all of us to catch fish. We did nothing different from what he said during the workshop at Sportsmens Warehouse.
If you get the time it would be in your best interest to go. The guy knows his stuff. Plus, he let me run his riggers so I felt like I was contributing.
I'm heading up this Saturday to try it on my own, we'll see if I learned anything.

I love that lake and I love this board for giving me the chance to meet awesome people like Jim, BLM, and Jared. I bought a camera and a photo printer from Jedburton over the phone and got to meet him and his family this weekend too. It was great to put a face with a name.
And to think, I'm deathly afraid of liquid ice.

IFG

Messages In This Thread
Re: [BearLakeMack] Flaming Gorge - June 1 thru June 4 - WOW! - by IceFishingGod - 06-06-2006, 06:38 AM