Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need muzzleloader info....
My avise to you would be go to Cabelas or Sportsmans and just handle the guns and see which ones feels the best. Then start whittling down the ones that fit you price range and so on. I have a remington and its a pretty good shooting gun, but I have shot some Knights, and Thompsons that shot better. Some of the newer in-lines have the trigger assmbly that drops out of the way for easy cleaning. Have the sales person show you how to take them apart and you can tell how easy it will be to clean. I would look for one that doesn't require any special tools (thats just one more thing you'll need to cary in the field). I really don't think yo caould buy a "bad" muzzleloader today. Any of the ones at those stores should be good. When you get one try a bunch of different bullets to see which one your gun likes best. For example: my remington doesn't shoot well with bullets lighter than 300 gr. It doesn't like the barnes bullets as well as my buddies Knight. But my gun shoots the big conicals better than the Knight.
It's alot of trial and error. Once you pick one find someone who has the same gun as you then talk about loads.
If I was to buy one today and price was not a problem, I would probably buy a stainless Thompson Omega with the laminte thumbhole stock (about $650.00). That gun fits me like a glove, and they shoot well to boot. You can get the Omega with a regular stock at Walmart for about $275.00.
Good luck you'll love it once you get into it.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Need muzzleloader info.... - by Bigcat - 02-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Re: [Bigcat] Need muzzleloader info.... - by Elkoholic - 02-25-2006, 10:02 PM