Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First buck ever
Just wanted to post this on here because I got a lot of good advise from several people on muzzleloaders here and wanted to post my success. This is my first year hunting big game and feel fortunate for this to be my first buck! I shot this small 3 point buck on tuesday with my new Winchester APEX 50 cal muzzleloader. Dropped it like a ton of bricks at 165 yards with open sights using 295 grain powerbelt hollowpoints with 100 grain of pyrodex pellets. I think next year I'll add a red dot scope. At 165 yards the front bead of the open sights just about covers half of the deer so it makes that long of a shot difficult at best. I am hoping that a red dot with a small MOA would make that better.

Anyway I know its not a huge buck but I am pleased with it and just wanted to say thanks to those that offered advise on muzzleloader types, brands, and accessories.
[signature]
That sure is a nice little buck! Congrats on your first kill. Looks like you plastered him quite nicely.
[signature]
That muzzle combo is deadly as you can see for yourself. Glad you got to experience the thrill of your first buck.[cool]
[signature]
Great job, you did really good! I know I will catch grief for this, but before you buy a red dot scope, look at a sightron. This particular scope is like a regular rifle scope (with cross hairs), doesn't take batteries, and is very clear.

I hate my red dot scope. If you are still interested in one, I will make you a great deal.

Now, why do I hate it?? When you are as absent minded as me, you tend to forget to turn it off when you are done hunting[mad]
I also hate changing the setting on it as the light changes. A royal pain IMO.

Great job once again and nice shot!
[signature]
that is a very nice buck. congrats with your smoke pole also.
[signature]
Thanks all! It was quite a rush and I find myself daydreaming a lot still thinking about it all. I think I am hooked!

Cad- sent you a PM about your red dot scope you'll give me a great deal on...
[signature]